Comix Talk for Thursday, February 3, 2011
Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on February 3, 2011 - 10:50
There's a lot to catch up on this morning so let's get to it:
- The Joe Shuster Awards have announced their nominations for this year's edition and the nominees for Outstanding Webcomic creators include ATTILA ADORJANY – Metaphysical Neuroma; KATE BEATON – Hark! A Vagrant; EMILY CARROLL – His Face All Red, Dream Journals, The Death of José Arcadio, Out the Door, The Hare’s Bride; KARL KERSCHL – The Abominable Charles Christopher; DRAZEN KOZJAN – The Happy Undertaker, Friday’s Fables; SIMON ROY – Dead Lands and SIMON ROY & ED BRISSON – Skimming the Till, Catching Up; SALGOOD SAM (aka Max Douglas) – Dream Life; and CONNOR WILLUMSEN – Everett, Hot Brunette, Batman Comic, Explanation for Sator Stuff. The Joe Shuster Awards will be presented June 18th in conjunction with the 2011 Calgary Comics Expo.
- The Webcomiclist site has announced its webcomic award winners for 2010. Best Comic went to Red's Planet by Eddie Pittman as selected by a panel of judges including Dr. Stuart Ashen, John Allison, David Bishop, Wendy Wood, Kurt Hathaway, Tom Truszkowski, and Ed Power.
- The webcomic anthology site ACT-I-VATE celebrates it's 5th anniversary.
- Erika Moen has a new webcomic - Bucko, a mystery. Robot 6 has a brief preview. Moen is artin' and Jeff Parker is handling writing on it.
- Newsarama interviews Ryan "Walking The" North of Dinosaur Comics.
- Newsarama interviews Daniel Lieske, creator of the new webcomic The Wormworld Saga.
- Robot6 profiles Matt Petz who was one of the last Zuda contest winners with War of the Woods. Apparently Petz has been able to reclaim ownership rights in the comic and is now distributing it through Comixology.
Rigby, by Lee Leslie, may have already ventured into the world of high fantasy, but now the heroine and her eponymous webcomic are venturing into the world of print comics. Pre-orders are currently open and will run until February 11. This is RiGBY’s first official print appearance, and the 20 page, full color comic will only be available at conventions and signings after the pre-sale. Those fans pre-ordering the comic will also be treated to a high resolution digital version.
IN MAPS & LEGENDS, illustrated by Niki Smith and written by Michael Jasper, continues with its fourth issue on February 2, 2011. With Bartamus' world falling apart around them, LaVonne, Jeremy, and Antawn venture deeper into unknown territory, while Kait travels into the darkness between worlds -- and she's no longer alone. Smith and Jasper were named "Digital Creators of the Year" (along with Alex de Campi) for their work on IN MAPS & LEGENDS in 2010. Artist Niki Smith is an artist and writer who is currently working on a handful of creator-owned comic projects such Some Did Rest. Her work has also appeared in several English language and German comic anthologies. Writer Michael Jasper has published three novels, a story collection, and over four dozen short stories in Asimov’s, Strange Horizons, Polyphony, Writers of the Future, and the Raleigh News & Observer, and other fine venues. His most recent novel is A Gathering of Doorways (Wildside Press, 2009).