Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on February 23, 2011 - 10:50
Just a side note to everyone -- I'm behind on everything online, it's not you, it's me! Hope to catch up before the end of the month.
MILESTONES: I didn't know Dwayne McDuffie, and although I was aware of his name in the industry I just never followed him specifically. It's always sad when a talented creator passes away too damn early and seeing all of the projects he worked on it's clear McDuffie was damn talented. GraphicNYC writes that it did a recent interview with him and that it will be up on their site next week.
- Richard Thompson (Cul De Sac) and Stephen Pastis (Pearls Before Swine) are two of the three nominees for the Reuben Cartoonist of the year award.
- Barry Deutsch's Hereville was nominated for a Nebula Award. (h/t Beat)
- The latest list of Xeric grant winners is up! A reminder that the next application deadline is 31 March. (h/t Fleen)
REVIEW: El Santo reviews Axe Cop.
Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on October 13, 2006 - 10:27
DEADLINES AND OTHER RIGHT-NOW STUFF
- Today is your last chance to submit a question for the community interview with Shaenon Garrity.
- Next Friday (October 20th) is the deadline for signing up for this year's Fright Night event.
- SPX kicks off today at 2:00 PM. I hope to be there and I plan on listening to Jules Feiffer talk at 3 PM. The Beat has a good preview and so does the Washington Post.
- Tomorrow night is the last chance in the Washington DC area to catch the stage version of David Rees' webcomic Get Your War On. The play adaption is getting good reviews.
- From Noon to 6 PM this Saturday, Dave Kellett (Sheldon) will be at the opening of Monty's Gourmet Foods new location in Ottawa Kansas, where heâ€™ll be signing bottles of their award-winning hot sauces and salsas that feature his artwork. There'll be grub, good times, and copies of "Pure Ducky Goodness" available for Sheldon fans.
- Kitchen, Lind & Associates have signed up webcomic creator Bryant Paul Johnson (Teaching Baby Paranoia, The Antecedent). Previously this agency had signed up webcomic creators Eleanor Davis and Drew Weing. KL&A provides artist representation and book packaging to its clients. (KLA will have a booth at SPX on October 13th and 14th to promote its upcoming packaged books and is looking to meet with talented creators who are seeking representation.) You know you're at a webcomic news site because the big deal here to me is the signing of creators from the web. The big news to everyone else though will be that KLA has signed Jim Lawson and the estate of Harvey Kurtzman.
- Barry Deutsch who sold his URL to a "Search Engine Optimization" company - but kept his blog and cartoons there - opens up his blog to discussion of his decision. Reinder has a post with some thoughts on the controversy.
- Peter Bagge comments on immigration at Reason online.
- Wizard interviews Mike "Gabe" Krahulik of Penny Arcade today.
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 BLOGS
- Comics Reporter catches an article on why comic strip creators burn out.
- Journalista! points to an interview with Chris Bishop (Girl Vs. Pig) who has an art show in Washington DC.
- The Beat on the Scott McCloud "facial expression generator".
- Not sure if this is new or not but Lore points to a how-to drawing video from Mike "Gabe" Krahulik of Penny Arcade.
- Slate looks Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim.