Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on December 26, 2006 - 16:16
Wow - I'm exhausted. Grey skies and a little rain for the day after Christmas. Hope you all have had a happy winter solstice season so far.
NEWS & VIEWS
- On the heels of Comicne.ws comes Plugg.us which is another digg-clone for comics. There's nothing wrong with comics-focused versions of more popular social networking tools, in fact it's great that this stuff is emerging. But the trick to success with these comic clones is whether or not they garner a critical mass of users (which is the same key to success for the original versions of any social networking site). Comicne.ws came pre-sold to CBR's significant audience, ComicSpace came pre-populated with OnlineComics large directory of webcomics. I'll wait and see with Plugg.us as it doesn't seem to have any similar affiliations to jumpstart it.
- Joey Manley has been using Alexa to show trends of various webcomics hosting services (here and more recently here). It's a bit tangential to interest in tracking individual webcomics' audience numbers but nevertheless interesting to see how other hosting services match up to the somewhat entrenched coke and pepsi of the market.
- Writer Caleb Monroe has set up a page intended to be a guide for beginning comic creators.
- Wizard interviews John Allison, creator of Scary Go Round.
- The WordBalloon podcast has an interview with Steven Bryant, creator of Athena Voltaire.
- The Digital Strips podcast has a review of Butterfly by Dean Trippe.
- Minimalist Stick Figure Theater reaches number 600.
JUSTIFY MY HYPE
- I can't tell whether Chris Crosby's Sore Thumbs spin-off project, Cecania's Private Party is a webcomic or a porn site. Time will tell I guess...
- Aeire and Chris Daily are teaming up for a new webcomic project debuting sometime next year. Check out a few preliminary sketches here.
- Art Room is an online drawing tool and gallery from the Saatchi Gallery. Holy high-low culture collision Batman!